When it comes to busy work days, nothing halts productivity like a rumbling tummy!
We have some great suggestions to get you through to lunch or the end of the day – healthy snacks you can easily stash at your work desk.
Read on for a few of our favourites, whether you’re bracing yourself for a long day or need a way to satisfy your sweet tooth without derailing your diet.
When your sweet tooth strikes
If it seems like birthday cake is always doing the rounds in your office and you find yourself craving a sweet alternative, don’t worry.
There’s lots of great snacks you can keep tucked away in your desk that are slightly less sizeable than that piece of cake.
- Fibre One Chocolate Fudge Brownies – When nothing but chocolate will do, these little beauties will sort you right out. Our Fibre One Chocolate Fudge Brownies layer chocolate on chocolate for a satisfying – and guilt-free – treat.
- Trail mix – Homemade trail mix can also satisfy your sweet tooth. Make your own so you can put exactly what you want in it, then keep a plastic container in your desk drawer. May we recommend nuts, flaked coconut, dried fruit, and chocolate chips as a good place to start.
- Dried fruit – Dried fruit is sweet and will keep fresh in your desk for months. Dried apricot and mango is particularly good if you find yourself craving sweet things.
Snacks for when you feel savoury
If your to-do list seems to be multiplying right before your eyes and you still have hours in front of you before you can go home and relax, these savoury snacks will help satisfy your cravings at bay so you can focus on other things.
- Instant porridge– On colder days, you can have a snack ready in the time it takes you to make a cup of tea.
- Popcorn – Popcorn is the perfect fuss-free snack when you just want a little something to keep you going. Pop your own in the microwave – the smell alone will make fast friends of all your co-workers.
- Nuts – Nuts are a small but mighty snack to keep at your desk and there’s so much to choose from. Almonds are sold at most supermarkets and sandwich shops, but if you’re ready for some variety, walnuts, pistachios and hazelnuts all taste great, too.
- Rice cakes – The humble rice cake is inexpensive and versatile, making it the perfect thing to stash in a desk drawer for when hunger strikes. Enjoy on its own or layer with anything from cream cheese and smoked salmon to hummus or peanut butter for a mini-meal when you’re starving.
- Roasted seaweed – If you crave the salty taste of crisps but want something less indulgent, roasted seaweed might be the alternative you’ve been waiting for. It’s light, salty, and has a slight crunch to it, too.